October 16, 2020 14:05
7:00 am – 3:30 pm, Mon-Fri
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The purpose of this classification is to perform routine and immediate maintenance tasks for airport operations, equipment and property. Works under direct supervision of the Airfield Maintenance Chief.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this classification. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Operates snow and ice removal and sanding/salting equipment.
- Mows and trims grass and weeds. Removes trees and brush. Sprays weeds.
- Seals pavement cracks. Operates tar kettle and associated paving equipment.
- Paints runway and taxiway markings according to specifications, and roads and parking lots.
- Maintains and repairs maintenance equipment and tools such as mowers, trimmers, fork lift and snow removal equipment.
- Sweeps streets and sidewalks with hand broom and vacuum sweeper.
- Cleans sand traps and curbs.
- Loads and unloads trucks for construction work; drives trucks; spreads chemicals; operates jackhammer, etc.
- Assists Maintenance Technician II in concrete, asphalt or grading operations; cleans equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Skill in the use of tools and the operation of machines and equipment employed in grounds keeping and landscaping
- Knowledge of Standard English grammar, punctuation and spelling and ability to perform arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to effectively communicate with the public in a courteous, effective and tactful manner.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent, one to two years’ light equipment, grounds keeping, maintenance and repair work experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Successful pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Ability to pass a rigorous background security check to obtain and maintain a Security Identification
- Area (SIDA) badge. Valid IN driver’s license required.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
LANGUAGE ABILITY AND INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
- Ability to assemble, copy, record and transcribe data and information, following a prescribed plan requiring the exercise of some judgment. Ability to compare, count, differentiate, measure and/or sort data and information.
- Ability to explain, demonstrate and clarify to others within well-established policies, procedures and standards. Ability to follow specific instructions and respond to simple requests from others.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of advisory/descriptive data and information such as regulations, blueprints, field condition reports, painting specifications, diagrams, maps, maintenance manuals, safety training materials, maintenance records, work requests, maintenance reports, time cards and equipment operating/repair manuals, parts manuals, electrical diagrams, hydraulic system schematics, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to communicate effectively with aircraft pilots, airline personnel, car rental personnel, airport users, vendor representatives, vehicle and equipment operators, Airport management, equipment service/repair personnel and control tower personnel.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and calculate percentages, fractions and decimals.
JUDGEMENT AND SITUATIONAL REASONING ABILITY
- Ability to use functional reasoning and apply rational judgment in performing diversified work activities.
- Ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory and /or judgmental criteria, as opposed to criteria which are clearly measurable.
- Frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Occasionally lifting of up to 100 pounds’ maximum.
- Ability to operate equipment and machinery requiring complex and rapid adjustments, such as dump truck, snow removal equipment, fork lift, painting equipment, mower, tractor, brush cutter, chain saw, welder, cutting torch, tar kettle, sprayers, compressor, generator, hoists, backhoe, jacks, plumbing tools, carpenter’s tools, electrician’s tools, power washer, shop bench tools, sand blaster, etc.
- Ability to coordinate eyes, hands, feet and limbs in performing skilled movements such as various equipment use.
- Ability to exert required physical effort to perform moderate to heavy work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to recognize and identify similarities or differences between characteristics of colors, shapes, sounds, odors and textures associated with job-related objects, materials and tasks. Ability to visualize, when announced by pilot or tower, the aircraft position and path it will take approaching the airport and while moving on the ground.
- Ability to work under occasionally hazardous and uncomfortable conditions where exposure to environmental factors such as temperature variations, odors, toxic agents, noise, vibrations, wetness, machinery, electrical currents and/or dust may cause or causing discomfort and where there is a risk of injury.
The Evansville-Vanderburgh Airport Authority District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the American with Disabilities Act, the Airport will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Reports directly to the Evansville-Vanderburgh Airport Authority District Airfield Maintenance Chief.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Experience: Groundskeeping: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Remotely: No